Monday, February 1, 2010

As The Man Once Said...

Reme,


As the man once said: What we have here is a failure to communicate.

We seem to be misunderstanding each other. Which is unfortunate, and is also frustrating. I have tried very hard to be clear. I will try again.

This post will seek to clarify misunderstandings from the first portion of your post. I do not have the time today to address the second section of your post where you present your CO2 argument. I will come back that later in the week when I have more time.

I have not debated good, hard data proposed by organizations such as NASA or even the IPCC. Data, in the way of fact, is not debatable.

I have debated, rather, the conclusions of various scientists and agencies.

Let me draw that line once more: There is a difference between Data and Conclusion. One is Fact. The other is Analysis. They are not synonymous. They are not one and the same.

I point this out once again, because it seems to be a sticking point with you. You continue to mix up the two, assuming that because one has Data they also have an accurate Conclusion.

I have made much out of the issue of consensus, because I believe it is an important part of this debate. I will state here again: Consensus is not a basis for argument. This is not my opinion. It is one of the foundations of logical argument.

I mentioned before that Logic is a school of thought worth further investigation. You may want to start with Logical Fallacies (false logic) regarding Appeal to Authority, for this is one of your continued weaknesses.

Also, you are inaccurate when you say no one has published work which contradicts global warming. Solanki's work, which you just read, offers evidence contrary to global warming theory. Much of what is needed in this debate is fresh eyes to examine the data without preconceptions. Separate Solanki's conclusion from his data and examine his data alone. What does it show?

A rise in temperature corresponding with a rise in solar irradiation until 1980, after which there is a significant spike in temperature not related to solar irradiation.

That is the Data. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Everything after is Analysis.

The Data, here, in Solanki's work, contradicts various precepts of the global warming argument, mainly that the temperature increase spikes as a result of the industrial revolution. Solanki's data shows a spike, but much later, in 1980.

This raises the question of why there is no significant spike in temperature from the very beginning of the industrial revolution. If the balance of the atmosphere is as delicate as you suggest, we should see a spike right from the start. It also begs the question of why there is a spike from 1980 forward.

In regards to Mann's work: Mann serves as an example of how there are fallible scientists on both sides of the argument. That was my central point. You extrapolated from there that I meant we should dismiss the entire IPCC report, which I did not allude to.

My suggestion, rather, was that since the IPCC had fully endorsed the work of a scientist whose work was later discredited, we can only conclude that it is possible there is other work in their report which might also be suspect. This is not an argument to “throw the baby out with the bath water,” but rather an argument to proceed cautiously and remain skeptical of all arguments, no matter who is presenting them.

You must remain skeptical of my arguments. But you need also be skeptical of the IPCC's.

More importantly, though, is your flippant dismissal of Mann's work (Wow, take away one graph...). I would argue that every piece of evidence is important, and that dismissing a man's work as if it did not matter at all or did not change the outcome is not only hasty but misguided.

Do you really believe Mann's graph was so unimportant? That it doesn't really matter if it was there or not?

I find this interesting, because it would lead one to believe that the IPCC's decision to include it was made as flippantly as was your dismissal. Either the IPCC considered Mann's work carefully and, believing it important and relevant, chose to include it, or they chose his work willy-nilly and with little regard for its merit.

I believe they did the former, which illustrates that even good scientists and well-meaning people can make grave mistakes. But if we believe the latter then we can not consider anything in the IPCC report relevant at all.

I'm guessing you would place yourself with the former group. However, if that is so, your glib jesting to explain away such a discrepancy in the IPCC report shows that you are only considering information which is in line with your case. If it suits your purpose then it must be accurate. If it taints your argument, then it is “just one graph.”

Concerning your paragraph about data and tests, the one where you gave a more detailed explanation of what you think my argument is...you misunderstood me. I have not claimed there is no data, no hypotheses, no tests, no evidence.

Data: I have argued that there is a mass of data. I have argued there is also a large measure of data unaccounted for.

Hypotheses: I have argued that there are hypotheses for global warming, many of which fall into the category of false logic (such as many of the arguments you have already presented).

Tests: I have not said anything thus far about tests, but eventually I will. Some of the tests in this debate are relevant and accurate, as regards to data. Other tests often used are absolutely worthless and have no meaning whatsoever.

Evidence: See Data.

Finally, I have argued that the conclusions drawn from the available data are inaccurate, and that the men and women drawing those conclusions misuse the data available to them by making false-logical arguments and ignoring contrary data.

This is pseudo-science.

I will state again: Data and Conclusion are not the same thing.

One can accept Data and question Conclusion.

2 comments:

Reme said...

No, I think Mann's graph is very important. My "glibness" had more to do with the amount of data that is in the IPCC. I have read that Mann has continued to defend his graph/science/math and that other serious scientific journals have countered the criticisms of the "skeptics" with further review of the hockey stick finding that it still has a lot to contribute to climate science.

I think the data leads to the conclusion that global warming is man made. The data is clear that detrimental things are happening to the global climate and that its happening a lot faster than we thought geological/ecological change could. The data is also clear the industry and land-use change emit CO2. The two graphs of CO2 emissions and temperature rise are very very similar. The seeming correlation between sunspots and temperature rise peaked at 1970(see youtube link on my blog). You seem to be cherry picking which part of Solanki's report you like. Solanki is an astrophysicist, and while you're pretty smart I think it's important to take his conclusion into consideration. This is not an "appeal to authority." This is recognizing my own limitations. All of the data that I have seen so far MAKES SENSE TO ME. I have read very carefully everything that has come under my fingers, I have done research, and I am trying to understand where you are coming from (although this would be a lot easier if you weren't so fond of being condescending). I am inside the conversation of global warming in a way that it is really difficult for me to understand how it is not obvious to everyone else. But then, we have not been reading the same things.

(Bill McKibbin's End of Nature (forgive the title, its a good book)or Alun Anderson's After the Ice.)

I am wondering what your conclusion of the data could be. What I gather from your posts so far is that you do believe that rapid climate change is happening, but that human emissions of CO2 are not the cause. Or, you have no conclusion but are willing to sit on the evidence until something a little closer to home happens. Where is your evidence for the former? So far you have cherry picked Solanki's report, and...that's it. You also don't like consensus. Okay, fine. I think you should read Lina's comment on your last post about testing hypotheses, I think she makes a good point.

If your solution to this argument is to just wait and see what happens, that's fine too. But I can't ignore data, and I can't ignore the conclusion. So I will act, and I will encourage others to do so.

Reme said...

Also, in regards to your question about why there wasn't an immediate temperature spike when we first started dumping CO2 into the atmosphere this is because there is a lag time. The CO2 we are putting into the atmosphere today will not affect tomorrow, but years down the road. Also, at the beginning of the industrial revolution we could count on certain natural processes to continue to uptake CO2: the ocean and trees and plants. Unfortunately, the ocean is not as limitless as we thought. We are already noticing the effects of continued pollution (this data not analysis) in the increased ocean acidity as well as the "bleaching" of coral reefs and overfishing. In addition, deforestation has not helped us either. One of the problems with deforestation of "first" growth or "old" growth forests is that when the forests are re-planted they are not nearly as efficient as the first growth in uptaking carbon. That's because to get to the first growth in the first place a lot of seemingly unimportant flora is destroyed. The biomass in a forest contributes a great deal to tree-health and carbon uptake.

To read more about CO2 lag and its relationship to temperature rise click here: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/04/the-lag-between-temp-and-co2/

realclimate.org is a commentary site on climate change by working climate scientists.