Saturday, April 4, 2009

Put A Meter On Your Bed To Disclose What Everybody Knows

Tomorrow I'll be making a trip to the city to pick up the newly released Leonard Cohen Live in London. Cohen, an American music legend, is 73 at this concert, five decades down the road of rock and roll and still here, still strong.

If you've never heard of Cohen, you've almost certainly heard his work. One of the finest songwriters in history (and what we might call a songwriter's songwriter), Cohen's songs have been covered by nearly everybody. He is worshiped by other artists, in and out of rock and roll, and his influence is heard echoing down the decades.

Likely, you've heard Hallelujah, covered by dozens of artists from John Cale on the Shrek Soundtrack to Bob Dylan, who used to perform it in concert.

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this: the fourth, the fifth, the minor chord, the major lift
The baffled king composing hallelujah

Or Everybody Knows, popularly covered by Don Henley.

Everybody knows that you love me baby
Everybody knows that you really do
Everybody knows that you've been faithful
Ah, give or take a night or two
Everybody knows that you've been discreet
But there were just so many people that you had to meet
Without your clothes
And everybody knows

Below you'll find Suzanne, another masterpiece. If you haven't checked out Cohen, this is a good place to begin. This guy is the real deal, and you won't be disappointed.


4 comments:

Madolyn Miller said...

it was good seeing you ty!!!! see you easter :):):)

The Best Years said...

All of you are going to be coming for Easter....bummer Whitney and Reme cannot be here. I will, Doug is on call for five days in a row so it just me...

Whitney Shae said...

I really like Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah. But Doug showed me Leonard Cohen's original one as well.

Sorry that I'll miss you guys!

Reme said...

Yes Halleluja might be my favorite song. I have a version by Jeff Buckley, k. d. lang, and, of course, Leonard Cohen. I almost bought a book of his poetry at Borders, but stopped myself, figuring I could find a cheaper, cooler edition at my Little Old Bookshop.